As the crisp winter air settles in and daylight fades early, there’s nothing quite like the warmth and comfort of a cozy dinner to lift our spirits. Winter invites us to savor hearty and soul-soothing meals that not only fill our bellies but also wrap us in a comforting embrace. One such dish that perfectly embodies the essence of warmth and comfort is a delightful Mushroom Soup. Bursting with earthy flavors and rich textures, this soup is a celebration of seasonal ingredients that will not only nourish your body but also provide a moment of respite in the midst of the winter chill. So, let’s embark on a culinary journey to create a bowl of Mushroom Soup that will make your winter evenings even more delightful.
- 1 pound (450g) assorted mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake), cleaned and sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Saute Mushrooms: In a large pot, melt butter and heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic, sauté until softened and fragrant. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture and become golden brown.
- Make Roux: Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and stir well to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes, allowing the flour to cook and eliminate the raw taste.
- Add Broth: Gradually pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer and Season: Stir in the dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the soup to thicken.
- Add Creamy Goodness: Pour in the whole milk and heavy cream, stirring to combine. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, ensuring the soup is heated through.
- Blend (Optional): For a smoother texture, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. Alternatively, transfer a portion of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth before returning it to the pot.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If the soup is too thick, you can add more broth or milk to reach your desired consistency.
- Serve: Ladle the creamy mushroom soup into bowls, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and enjoy the warm, comforting flavors of winter in every spoonful.
This Mushroom Soup is the perfect companion for a chilly winter night, providing a delightful balance of earthy mushrooms and creamy goodness. So, embrace the season and indulge in the warmth of this soul-satisfying dish.